Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Garden Variety

Not a fan of this H&M dress so it did not get purchased. I am not really a fan of the blousy material, angled cuts of summer-inspired dresses this season. They feel more like lingerie than something I could wear to work. I did like the pop of orange from the scarf/belt.

Moving on to leftovers for lunch. Yes, I bring a cooler to the mall filled with leftover tilapia, sauteed veggies, and a peach. I am in love with the diet lemonade from Chik Fil-A so that was my big purchase at the mall-- not bad for $1.76 (plus you get a free refill!!).



Dinner at my parents, after my dad let me loose to pick-my-own veggies from his garden: zucchini, several varieties of peppers, and a tomato. Yum!


On the menu: chicken fajitas (served over red cabbage and grilled eggplant for me), homemade guac with Xotchil chips (amazing!), sweet corn, and grilled pineapple for dessert. I am having them over for my "famous" turkey burgers on Friday to reciprocate. It really is nice having them close-by :)

I will leave you with a list of healthy fats (courtesy of today's clients):
GOOD FATS
Monounsaturated fatPolyunsaturated fat
  • Olive oil
  • Canola oil
  • Sunflower oil
  • Peanut oil
  • Sesame oil
  • Avocados
  • Olives
  • Nuts (almonds, peanuts, macadamia nuts, hazelnuts, pecans, cashews)
  • Peanut butter
  • Soybean oil
  • Corn oil
  • Safflower oil
  • Walnuts
  • Sunflower, sesame, and pumpkin seeds
    Flaxseed
  • Fatty fish (salmon, tuna, mackerel, herring, trout, sardines)
  • Soymilk
  • Tofu

The best sources of healthy monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats are vegetable oils, nuts, seeds, and fish.

  • Cook with olive oil. Use olive oil for stovetop cooking, rather than butter, stick margarine, or lard. For baking, try canola or vegetable oil.
  • Eat more avocados. Try them in sandwiches or salads or make guacamole. Along with being loaded with heart and brain-healthy fats, they make for a filling and satisfying meal.
  • Reach for the nuts. You can also add nuts to vegetable dishes or use them instead of breadcrumbs on chicken or fish.
  • Snack on olives. Olives are high in healthy monounsaturated fats. But unlike most other high-fat foods, they make for a low-calorie snack when eaten on their own. Try them plain or make a tapenade for dipping.
  • Dress your own salad. Commercial salad dressings are often high in saturated fat or made with damaged trans fat oils. Create your own healthy dressings with high-quality, cold-pressed olive oil, flaxseed oil, or sesame oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment